THE EMBASSY OF THE REPUBLIC OF CROATIA, OTTAWA
229 Chapel Street
A Donation from the Croatian Community in Canada to the Republic of Croatia
The Croatian Community in Canada has actively participated in the formation of the modern Croatian state and has contributed greatly to the struggle for Croatia's independence. Today this community fosters the Croatian language and its cultural heritage. Furthermore, it serves to enhance the political, economical and cultural ties between the Republic of Croatia and Canada. Shortly after diplomatic relations were established, the Embassy of the Republic of Croatia opened in Canada. The Croatian Community rallied to raise the necessary funds needed to acquire a building for their Embassy. Once acquired, many of the communities craftsmen and individuals contributed their time and funds toward its renovations.
With funds provided by the Croatian expatriate community in Canada, the building was purchased on September 1, 1995 and donated to the Republic of Croatia. To preserve the beauty of the original architecture and the spirit of the era in which it was built, the renovations of this heritage building were carried out according to the stringent regulations determined by the Committee for the Preservation of Historical Landmarks. The new premises of the Embassy of the Republic of Croatia, was officially opened in 1999, and in 2000 the Embassy received an award of excellence by the city of Ottawa for successfully adopting the building. Annually, since 2000 the Embassy has participated in the manifestation of "Doors Open", an event in which many of Ottawa’s heritage sights are opened to the public. This year over 1,500 visitors took the opportunity to tour our premises, which have recently garnered much local media coverage.
On behalf of the Croatian State, we take this opportunity to thank all those who have contributed in purchasing and reconstructing this building and as a symbol of gratitude, their names have been engraved in a Golden Book and on gold plaques, which are on display in the Embassy's reception area.
Building on 229 Chapel Street, Corner of Daly - Historic Home
A short history:
A handsome, red brick house stands at the southeast corner of Daly Avenue and Chapel Street, deep in Sandy Hill, designated as a historical building by the City of Ottawa.
It was built in 1875 and designed by the architects Horsey and Sheard, who were also responsible for Ottawa's old City Hall on Elgin Street which burned in 1931. (The National Arts Centre is on the site today.)
The first occupant was J.H. Plummer, the new Ottawa manager of the Bank of Commerce at the time. After only two years, the house was subsequently obtained by the Hon. Telesphore Fournier, a Judge of the Supreme Court of Canada. The Fournier family resided here until 1882 when Frederick Toller bought the property, ?
ontroller of the Dominion Currency. The building was originally known as the "Gothic Cottage". This name was indicative of the building and its era, however it later became known as the "Toller House". This was a time that saw the neighborhood of Sandy Hill home to many early government officials, leading politicians, statesmen and prominent Canadians.
The "Toller House" was sold in 1912 to the Hon. Louis-Philippe Brodeur, Minister of Marine and Fisheries who owned it until 1931, when the property was bought by the Soeurs Blanches D'Afrique for use as a children’s private school until 1968. The following owner, a businessman, maintained the building as a heritage property, much like the Embassy of the Republic of Croatia proudly does today.